3 MT RULES AND REGULATIONRules that need to be adhered by participants, who are eligible to participate
- Presentations are restricted and limited to 3 minutes and competitors exceeding 3 minutes will automatically be disqualified.
- The timing will start when the presentations are commenced through speech (when the competitor starts speaking) and not from the start of the video including the 3MT title slide.
- Presentation videos must meet the following criteria (can refer to virtual competitor guide):
- Contain a 3MT PowerPoint slide (top right corner/right side/cut to)
- Filmed on the horizontal;
- Filmed on a plain background;
- Filmed from a static position;
- Filmed from one camera angle;
- Contain a 3MT title slide;
- A single static slide (no slide transformations, animations or ‘movement’ of any description) is allowed in the presentation. Make sure it can always be seen.
- The 3-minute audio must be continuous – no sound edits or breaks.
- No additional props such as costumes, musical instruments, laboratory equipment and animated backgrounds are permitted within the recording.
- Presentations need to be in the spoken word (e.g. no poems, raps or songs).
- Additional electronic media such as sound and video files are prohibited within the video recording.
- The decision of the adjudicating panel is final and no amendments can be made.
- Submissions need to be in the video format by submitting the entries using only the YouTube video link. Files sent in other formats will not be accepted.
Please note: Having an exceptional quality of the video recording is a bonus to attract the adjudicators. However, competitors *will not* be necessarily judged solely on the quality of the video/recording quality or editing capabilities (optional inclusions). Judging will be focused more on the presentation, ability to communicate research to a non-specialist audience and 3MT PowerPoint slide.
All active Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM) PhD candidates are eligible to participate with the following category:
- Science, Management and Design
Please note: Master students (MPhil and coursework) are not eligible to participate in 3MT.