INNOVATION AND COMMERCIALISATION
LIST OF INNOVATION COMPETITIONS
- Malaysian Technology Expo (MTE)
- Internationational Invention, Innovation & technology Exhibition Malaysia (ITEX)
- International Conference and Exposition on Inventions by Institutions of Higher Learning (PECIPTA)
- Industrial Art & Technology Exhibition (INATEX)
- International Trade Fair Ideas Inventions New Products (iENA)
- Seoul International Invention Fair (SIIF)
- The British Invention Show (BIS)
What is Intellectual Property?
Intellectual property (IP) refers to creations of the mind, such as inventions; literary and artistic works; designs; and symbols, names and images used in commerce
Types of Intellectual Property Protection Rights
- PATENT/UTILITY INNOVATION
- INDUSTRIAL DESIGN
- LAYOUT-DESIGN OF AN INTEGRATED CIRCUIT
- GEOGRAPHICAL INDICATIONS
Copyright is a protection given to authors, copyright owner and performer of their copyright work and performances as prescribed under the Copyright Act 1987.
WORKS ELIGIBLE FOR COPYRIGHT
literary works; musical works; artistic works; films; sound recordings; broadcasts; and derivative works
A patent is an exclusive right granted for an invention, which is a product or a process that provides, in general, a new way of doing something, or offers a new technical solution to a problem. A utility innovation is an exclusive right granted for a “minor” invention which does not require to satisfy the test of inventiveness as required of a patent.
A ttrademarkis a sign which distinguishes the goods and services of one trader from those of another. A mark includes words, logos, pictures, names, letters, numbers or a combination of these.
An industrial design is the ornamental or aesthetic aspect of an article. The design may consist of three-dimensional features such as the shape and configuration of an article, or two-dimensional features, such as pattern and ornamentation. The design features must be applied to an article by any industrial process or means of which the features in the finished article appeal to the eye.
A layout-design of an integrated circuit is the three-dimensional disposition of the elements of an integrated circuit and some or all of the interconnections of the integrated circuit or such three-dimensional disposition prepared for an integrated circuit intended for manufacture.
A geographical indication (GI) is a sign used on products that have a specific geographical origin and possess qualities or a reputation that are due to that origin.
RAZAK FACULTY IP LISTINGS
RAZAK FACULTY INNOVATION & COMMERCIALISATION COMMITTEE
Prof Madya Dr Nor Ashikin binti Mohamed Yusof
Dr Wan Nurul Mardhiah binti Wan Mohd Rani
Dr Nurul Aini binti Bani
Dr Mazlan bin Ali
Dr Nur Azaliah binti Abu Bakar
Dr Hafiza binti Abas
Dr Saiful Adli bin Ismail
SCOPE OF WORKS
- Evaluate and approve applications for IP registration and research proposals based on IP Disclosure and InnoComm Scoring Forms
- Ensuring the potential of an intellectual property that is approved has an impact on the industry and society
- Conducting intellectual property audits in accordance with UTM’s intellectual property policy
- Plan and ensure the KPI of University Research related to Innovation and Commercialization is achieved
- Plan strategies and commercialization measures to be taken with regard to all factors and seek advice from inventors
- Make a decision to commercialize technology based on:
– commercialization risks to the university’s impact and reputation of the university
– the extent to which the activity will or may deviate from the main function of the university
– exposure to the risk and harm of the law in which is subject to the university insurance coverage
– all things related to the university