Master of Science (Sustainable Urban Design)
Master of Science (Sustainable Urban Design) is the only industrial-focused master-by-coursework program in the discipline in Malaysia. The program is designed to be multi-disciplinary in nature where it assimilates the diverse areas of sustainable development and urban design. An overseas study trip become a compulsory component to expose students to the global concern of sustainable development. This trip will give an international flavor to the program where students can also engage with their international counterparts with the cooperation of other international university partners.
Apart from having in-house experts in urban design, the teaching staffs also include in house experts from related disciplines, experts and professionals in the industry who will bring the real world issues relating to sustainable urban design into the class rooms. The multi-disciplinary nature of the program is designed to attract as many prospective students from various related disciplines.
PROGRAM OBJECTIVES & OUTCOMES
- Apply advanced knowledge in sustainable urban design in solving general planning and design problems in development within an urban area.
- Evaluate projects that consider users needs as well as appreciating urban design issues from global and cultural perspectives in order to implement professional, ethical, environmental and responsibilities.
- Able to work in a team and lead research tasks, able to communicate effectively through oral and written communication to assure effective presentation of technical and social issues as well as establishing international networking.
- Ability to upgrade their urban design knowledge through lifelong learning.
- Manage complex urban design projects and having entrepreneurial thinking to identify business opportunities in urban design and the means to exploit the opportunities.
- Integrate in-depth urban design knowledge in professional practices for the benefits of built environment discipline.
- Develop practical research skills in line with sustainable development perspectives.
- Formulate critical thinking and problem solving skills from sustainable urban design perspectives.
- Demonstrate professional ethics in urban design from sustainable urban design perspectives.
- Communicate effectively through oral and written to scientific, industry and public communities.
- Select and apply contemporary knowledge in sustainable urban design independently to use information effectively.
- Demonstrate managerial skills and identify business opportunities in sustainable urban design.
|PROGRAM NAME||Master of Science (Sustainable Urban Design)|
|AWARD NAME||Master of Science (Sustainable Urban Design)|
|LANGUAGE OF INSTRUCTION||English|
|MODE OF STUDY||Conventional|
|MODE OF OPERATION||Self-govern|
|STUDY SCHEME||Package 01 (Weekdays Class) and Package 02 (Weekend Class|
|STUDY DURATION||Package 01 (Weekdays Class): 1 ½ years
Package 02 (Weekend Class) : 2 years
|IMPLEMENTATION MODE||PACKAGE 1||PACKAGE 2|
|Classes During Weekday||Classes during Weekend|
|NO. OF SEMESTER||NO. OF WEEKS|
|PACKAGE 01||PACKAGE 02||PACKAGE 01||PACKAGE 02|
Core Courses (Compulsory)
MRSS 1135: Sustainable Urban Landscape Design Studio
MRSS 1114: Urban Design Theory and Method
MRSS 1145: Urban Dynamics and Regeneration Studio
Elective Course (Choose five (5))
MRSS 1113: Sustainable Urban Form and Quality
MRSS 1123: Sustainable Urban Landscape Design
MRSS 1153: Urban Dynamics and Regeneration
MRSS 1163: Urban Studies
MRSS 2183: Sustainable Design and Construction
MRSS 2193: Universal Design
MRSS 2213: Sustainable Housing Development
MRSS 2203: Sustainable Development and Environmental Engineering
MRSS 2116: Masters Project II
MRSS 1144: Masters Project I
University General Courses
URSP 0013: Research Methodology
UHAP 6013: Seminar on Global Development, Economic and Social Issues
UICW 6023: Philosophy of Science and Civilization
URSP 6013: Environmental Ethics
URSP 6023: ICT Ethics in Society
ULAJ 6013: Japanese Language
UCCM 1263: IT Project Management
UIBE 1123: Organizational Behavior and Development
UPPF 6033: Dynamics of Leadership
UHAZ 6123: Malaysian Society and Culture
ULAM 6323: Malay Language for Postgraduates
|Master of Science (Sustainable Urban Design)|
|Package 1||Package 2|
|Types of Fees||Local||International||Local||International|
|Processing Fee(Non-refundable)||RM 60||50 USD||RM 60||50 USD|
|Registration Fee||RM 350||RM 350||RM 350||RM 350|
|Programme Fee* Subject to change||RM 15,416||RM 25,415||RM 15,416||RM 25,415|
Scholarship and Financial Aids
Student can obtain financial assistance from:
(1) PTPTN: (http://www.ptptn.gov.my/web/guest/pinjaman)
(2) MARA (web address: http://www.mara.gov.my/web/guest/biasiswa-/- pinjaman-pelajaran).
(3) Student can also withdraw EPF savings. UTM will issue a support letter once the student has enrolled in the programme for the first semester.
- Bachelor Degree with Honours from Architecture, Urban and Regional Planning, Landscape Architecture or any other design related field with CGPA >2.50. In the case where, the candidate has a bachelor degree from other fields or having CGPA less than 2.50, a minimum of 2 years working experience related to design is needed as well as passing the interview.
- All International students shall fulfill the English language proficiency requirement as outlined in the Academic Regulations of UTM School of Graduate Studies.
How to Apply
- Pass all courses.
- Achieve a total of 45 credit hours with a minimum cumulative B grade or CGPA of 3.0
SUCCESS STORY / OUR ALUMNI
The first and second batch of students come from a range of disciplines such as Architecture, Urban Planning, Graphic Design, Building Technology and Cartography. Some of the first batch of this program is now working in the Malaysian Public Works Department with others being employed by Architectural Practices and a few continuing to do the PhD in the field of Urban Design. This program attracts a number of its students from the international communities such as Iran, Saudi Arabia and Iraq.